For more than six decades, CPS Energy has provided light, heat and power to residents and businesses in Greater San Antonio. The former San Antonio Public Service Company, which had run the local power plants, gas network and streetcar lines since the 1800s, was purchased by San Antonio's municipal government on October 24, 1942.
Over the last seven decades, CPS Energy has evolved with the Alamo City. Our name has changed while we have expanded our services to keep up with San Antonio's transformation into a major metropolitan city and to meet our customers' growing demand for natural gas and electricity. Despite economic progress and the region's continuous population growth, CPS Energy bills today remain among the lowest in the country.
From the first light bulb in Alamo Plaza to a growing number of solar panels and wind turbines, CPS Energy has remained dedicated to bringing a plentiful source of power to our customers.