CPS Energy is the nation’s largest municipally owned energy utility providing both natural gas and electric service. We serve more than 884,811 electric customers and 366,709 natural gas customers in and around San Antonio, the nation’s seventh largest city.
Some highlights of our history:
1860 - The city's first light bulb, in front of the post office in Alamo Plaza, brought San Antonio into the modern era six months before Thomas Edison opened his first New York City generating plant.
1942 – The City of San Antonio municipal government acquires the former San Antonio Public Service Company, later to be named City Public Service before becoming CPS Energy.
1950s – A commitment to innovation leads to the introduction of customer service by phone and the downtown area’s first streetlight system.
1960s – CPS Energy contributes infrastructure and power to many of San Antonio's most famous attractions, including Natural Bridge Caverns.
1970s – CPS Energy joins other Texas utilities on a jointly owned nuclear power project (today known as the South Texas Project). The opening of the new Deely plant, in the midst of the energy crisis, boosts production and saves ratepayers $125,000 in fuel costs.
1980s – The introduction of Project WARM kicks off fundraising efforts to help families in need pay winter utility bills.
1990s – New J.K. Spruce coal-fired power plant is built with more than $100 million worth of environmental regulation systems.
2010 – One of the nation's cleanest coal units, J.K. Spruce 2, begins operation with more than $250 million of the best available emissions-control equipment.
2012 – Rio Nogales, a combined-cycle natural gas plant in Seguin, is acquired as part of strategic plan to increase low carbon fuels, and to proactively save half-a-billion dollars by not investing in Deely, the oldest coal-fired unit.
2017 – CPS Energy celebrated 75 years of being owned by the City of San Antonio. October 24, 1942, marks the day that every citizen of San Antonio became the investors and direct benefactors of CPS Energy. The original purchase price was $34 million and the return on our community’s investment has been $7 billion and reliable and affordable power.