System Maintenance: On Sunday, December 3 , 2023, from 1:00AM to 5:00AM, our EZ Pay credit card payment processing may not be available; however, you may make a payment by logging in to Manage My Account. You may report an outage online or by calling (210) 353-4357. Visibility to bills in Manage My Account may also not be available during this maintenance.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Know the risks of the "silent killer"
When temperatures drop, we urge you to be careful when using fuel-burning heating equipment to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Here are some important facts about carbon monoxide:
- It’s produced by the exhaust from everything from furnaces to space heaters
- You cannot see or smell it - hence, the nickname "silent killer"
- Symptoms include severe headaches or nausea, fatigue, dizziness or feeling faint
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Open windows
- Shut off your furnace and other fuel-burning appliances
- Get out of your home immediately
- Call the fire department at 911 and CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP)
How to avoid carbon monoxide dangers:
- Install a carbon monoxide detector near the area where your family sleeps
- Check the detector’s batteries every time you change the time on your clock each spring and fall
- When using a gas space heater, leave a window open a couple of inches for proper ventilation
- Never heat a room with your gas range, oven or clothes dryer
- Never use a charcoal or barbecue grill, or portable gas camp stove indoors
- Always use fuel-burning appliances with proper ventilation
- Always provide such appliances with adequate combustion air according to manufacturer recommendations
- Make sure appliance fresh air intakes are not blocked or restricted
- Keep vents and chimneys clear of debris or other blockages