Work safe and play safe outdoors
Here are some helpful tips to keep you and your family safe during the warm weather months.
- Use only electric equipment designed for outdoor use
- Keep ladders, kites, and TV antennas/dishes away from power lines
- Make sure all outdoor outlets are protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs)
- Use cords marked for outdoor use and rated for your power tool's needs
- Never trim trees near power lines; call us first at (210) 353-2222 to request a temporary disconnect of your power if working near lines on your property
- Use only a dry fiberglass or wooden ladder––never a metal ladder ––when working near electrical wires or equipment
- Call before you dig! Locate underground power and gas lines by using the National One Call System at 811. It’s the law!
- Never place a swimming pool or other structure under the power line leading to your house
- Never climb power poles, transmission towers, or fences around substations
- Teach children to stay clear of all electrical and natural gas installations, including the green transformer boxes
- If you see a downed power line, call CPS Energy immediately at (210) 353-4357 (HELP)