Board of Trustees
The CPS Energy Board of Trustees, in accordance with bond ordinances, governs the natural gas and electric utility. The Board consists of four citizens residing in each of the four geographical quadrants within Bexar County and the Mayor of San Antonio, who serves as an ex-officio member. Trustees may serve for a term of five years and are eligible to serve an additional five-year term.
The Board has full authority to make rules and regulations governing the furnishing of electric and gas service and full authority with reference to making extensions, improvements and additions to CPS Energy electric and gas systems, and to adopt rules for the orderly handling of CPS Energy affairs. While the Board serves as the governance authority over CPS Energy, the utility must go to the City Council for the following:
- Rate adjustments;
- Condemnation proceedings;
- Issuance of bonds, notes, or commercial paper; and
- Appointing Board members.
- Five-member Board
- Four Bexar County Residents from different geographical quadrants of the city
- San Antonio City Mayor – ex officio member
- Mayor is a voting member of the Board
- Represents the City Council and is responsible for keeping it fully advised and informed of all Board actions
- Members serve five-year terms
- Members may be reappointed for one term only (maximum 10 years)
- Members (other than Mayor) may be removed by unanimous vote of the remaining Board members
- 2021-2022 CPS Energy Board Vacancy for Quadrant 1:
- Email: [email protected]
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1771 (Mail Drop: CT1501), San Antonio, TX 78296-1771
Janie Martinez Gonzalez
Janie Martinez Gonzalez is the President and CEO of Webhead, a company that specializes in providing cybersecurity solutions to clients across the nation. She resides in CPS Energy’s southwest quadrant.
First Term: February 28, 2019 – January 31, 2024
Committees: Audit & Finance (Chair), Employee Benefits Oversight (Chair), Technology & Resilience (Chair), Personnel (Chair), Nominations Committee, Risk Management
Dr. Francine Sanders Romero
Board Vice Chair
Dr. Francine Sanders Romero is a Professor and Chair of the Public Administration Department at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). She resides in CPS Energy’s northwest quadrant.
First Term: February 1, 2022 – January 31, 2027
Committees: Operations Oversight (Chair), Technology & Resilience, Risk Management
Dr. Willis Mackey
Dr. Willis Mackey is a retired public-school administrator and current consultant to school districts across the state. He resides in CPS Energy’s southeast quadrant.
First Term: April 6, 2018 – January 31, 2023
Second term: February 1, 2023 - January 31, 2028
Committees: Nominations (Chair), Risk Management (Chair), Audit & Finance, Employee Benefits Oversight, Personnel
John Steen is an attorney who previously served as the 108th Texas Secretary of State and as a commissioner of the Texas Department of Public Safety. He resides in CPS Energy’s northeast quadrant.
First Term: February 1, 2016 – January 31, 2021
Second Term: February 1, 2021 – January 31, 2026
Committees: Operations Oversight, Risk Management
Mayor Ron Nirenberg
Ron Nirenberg, as current mayor of San Antonio, serves as an ex-officio member of the Board of Trustees. He will remain on the Board through his fourth and final term.
Term: June 21, 2017 – May 31, 2025
Committees: Risk Management.