We are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times on our Customer Service phone lines.  For self-service options, you may access our online resources, including Manage My Account, My Energy Portal, and Ways to Pay. If you need to speak to an Energy Advisor, you can also Schedule a Callback.  Thank you for your understanding. 

New Home Construction

A PDF version of the residential service application is available for download.


Contact CPS Energy Customer Design & Delivery at 210-353-4050 Monday - Friday 7:30am - 4pm or [email protected] if you need assistance with any of the steps below.


The steps below are for new homes in an area served by an existing underground electric distribution system, such as a subdivision. If your home will be served by an overhead electric distribution system, including overhead to underground line extensions, go to New Home Construction – Overhead Service.

Download the detailed New Home Construction Underground Step-by-Step Process Document.

1 of 15

Ensure your location is within CPS Energy Service Boundaries.

See Electric Service Boundary Map and Gas Service Boundary Map.

*The following link will provide important addressing information that is needed before an application can be processed.  Read More Here

2 of 15

Register on the CPS Energy Construction & Renovation Web Portal.

Register to request temporary service and track your project steps all the way through to permanent service. Once submitted, we will typically process your registration within 24-48 hours. To authorize a contractor to register, complete a Web Authorization Form.

To register, you will need:

  • Business/Customer Name
  • Email Address
  • Phone Number
  • Construction Mailing Address
  • Existing or new CPS Billing Account
  • CPS Account Billing Address

If opening a new CPS Billing Account, provide one of the following:

  • Federal Tax ID or
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN) or
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
Register on Web Portal
3 of 15

Construct your Temporary Meter Loop and request Temporary Electric Service.

STEP 1) Apply for your Temporary Meter Loop permit with your city or municipality, such as the City of San Antonio. For more information about City of San Antonio permitting and inspections, go to City of San Antonio - Permit, Inspection and Review. If you are outside San Antonio, contact your local municipality.

STEP 2) Construct your Temporary Meter Loop in compliance with Temporary Meter Loop Diagram [Underground] diagrams, ensure the structure has clear access, and mark it with the physical address [CPS Energy Addressing Requirements for Meter Installation]. If you need assistance determining where to put your temporary loop, call us at 210-353-4050.

STEP 3) After your Temporary Meter Loop is complete, request Temporary Service on the Construction & Renovation Web Portal

  • Select the plus symbol at the top of the screen, then “Single Family Home.”
  • Search for your Temporary Address in our system, designated with a #T or TEMP.
  • If you don’t see a Temporary Address (#T), click the Request Address creation checkbox, add “#T” to the Apt/Unit/Bldg# field and fill out necessary information.
  • Select your service and installation type. (Select “Temporary” for temporary services)
  • Provide Project Details
  • Select your Billing Account or “Request a New Account.”
  • Review your Project Details and Submit.
  • Once submitted, you will see your Project Number for reference.

CPS Energy typically will send you Temporary Service instructions and an invoice by email the next business day.

You can also download and mail or email your application:

4 of 15

Apply for Permanent Service and provide CPS Energy required documents.

When you are ready for permanent infrastructure installation, apply for Permanent Service and, if necessary, attach the required documents.

Apply on the Construction & Renovation Web Portal.

  • Select the plus symbol at the top of the screen, then “Single Family Home” (Permanent Service is new project separate from Temporary Service).
  • Search for your Permanent Address in our system (it will not have a T#).
  • If you don’t see your Permanent Address, request that CPS create one.
  • Select Permanent Service, then select the services to add. If gas is not selectable, you may be outside our Gas Service Boundary Map. If you believe this is incorrect, contact Customer Engineering at 210-353-4050.
  • Select your Billing Account or Request a New Account.
  • Enter your Project Details and Submit.
  • Once submitted, you will see your Project Number for reference.

For service lines exceeding 250 feet or lines involving steep slopes, bluffs or retaining walls, attach the following required documents to your project by selecting the Project from Home, then Attachments.

Or download and mail or email your application:

5 of 15

Ensure your Permanent Service plans meet CPS Energy Service Standards.

Plan to install all meter equipment in compliance with Customer Information Packet diagrams and ensure the line path is unobstructed. Install all gas equipment in compliance with Gas Meter Clearance Diagram. This will allow CPS Energy to perform on-site measurements for your project.

CPS Energy typically digs trenches and installs conduit for residential customers. However, residential customers have the option to install their own trenches and conduits in accordance with the Trench diagram in the Site Ready document. Residential customers need to notify their CPS Energy representative if they plan to install their own trench by calling Customer Engineering at 210-353-4050.

6 of 15

CPS Energy provides job sketch with meter location(s) and an invoice for CPS Energy work.

CPS Energy will typically process your Permanent Service application within two business days and email you a Job Sketch with the meter location on your site. We may need to perform a Utility Survey Inspection to determine the meter location. If CPS Energy will be digging your trench, we will visit your site visit to obtain measurements needed to calculate your invoice. Please prepare your site and call us at 210-353-4050 and we can do this the following day.

Once we gather all necessary information, we will send an invoice for the cost of the work to be performed by CPS Energy.


For service lines exceeding 250 feet or lines involving steep slopes, bluffs or retaining walls, attach the following required documents to your project by selecting the Project from Home, then Attachments.

  • Load Sheet (Electric and/or Gas)
  • Customer Environmental Requirements Checklist
  • Lot Survey
  • Meter Loop Drawing, including:
    • Service conductors size, number, and type
    • Amperage rating of customer service equipment
    • Clearances.
  • Electrician to indicate applicable service and refer to the Electric Service Standards for specific details.
7 of 15

Pay your invoice for CPS Energy work.

For CPS Energy to perform work, the invoice must be paid using one of the following options:

Pay Online


Pay by mail:

CPS Energy
PO Box 2678
San Antonio, TX 78289-0001

Pay in-person by check at any of our Customer Service Centers

Pay electronically via Automated Clearing House (ACH)

8 of 15

Apply for the necessary permit(s) with your city or municipality.

You will need to obtain all relevant permits and, where required, final electrical and/or gas inspection(s) from your local city or municipality, such as the City of San Antonio. For more information about City of San Antonio permitting and inspections, go to City of San Antonio - Permit, Inspection and Review. CPS Energy has worked with the City of San Antonio to create a Permits and Inspections Checklist for your assistance. If you are outsides San Antonio, contact your local municipality.

PLEASE NOTE: You will require an electric and/or gas permit to construct your Meter Loop and CPS Energy will need a copy of your permit, and later your city/municipality inspection, in order to turn on your permanent service.

9 of 15

Perform all required work and prepare your site for inspections.

Follow the steps to prepare your site for inspection:

  • Install all equipment in compliance with CPS Energy Service Standards - Site Ready [Underground Service].
  • If you are digging your own trench, ensure it complies with Trench Design section of the document.
  • Ensure the grade along the underground service route is within 6 inches of final grade.
  • Securely mount electric meter loop and meter can on the structure’s wall and mark it with the physical address. [CPS Energy Addressing Requirements for Meter Installation]
  • Stub gas structure pipe out 26 inches above final grade.
  • If you are installing gas service, ensure your home interior lines and appliances are ready for either your city’s Gas Inspection or CPS Energy’s Gas Rough-in Inspection, depending on your location.
  • To reduce delays on your gas service request, please see these helpful documents to prepare for your inspection. 
  1. Gas Meter Installation Checklist
  2. Gas Meter Rough-In Inspection Checklist

In addition to infrastructure preparation, ensure that you:

  • Clear the service location of all water and drain lines, and underground facilities; including septic systems, culverts, irrigation systems, underground wiring, and other impediments.
  • Clear all obstructions and/or debris from cable, gas, transformer, secondary enclosure, and meter location route.
  • Sign and return any required easements to CPS Energy.
10 of 15

Request your inspections.

CPS Energy Inspections

Let CPS Energy know that your site is ready by logging on to the Construction & Renovation Web Portal and completing your Site Ready Task. If you are outside the City of San Antonio, request your Gas Rough-in inspection from CPS Energy, which will ensure you are ready to have gas turned on after installation.

  • Locate your Project and click on the correct Work Request card.
  • Click on the “Task” tab and locate the “Site Ready” Task(s).
  • Confirm the information on the screen is accurate before confirming your project site is ready.
  • Once confirmed, then click the “Confirm Site is Ready” button,
  • Once Submitted, CPS Energy will begin the inspection process.
  • Note: If the electric and Gas services are in the same trench, repeat the same steps for the corresponding Work Request

You can also call CPS Energy at 210-353-4050 to let us know your site is ready.

City or Municipality Inspections

To turn on your service after our infrastructure and meter installation, we require your city or municipality’s successful electric and/or gas inspection(s). We recommend you acquire these inspections as soon as possible. CPS Energy will still install your infrastructure and meters, but in a locked position until we receive the appropriate inspections. In some locations, the CPS Energy Meter Installer will perform this inspection.

11 of 15

CPS Energy and your city or municipality will perform their required inspections.

CPS Energy will perform our required inspection and if your inspection passes, we will schedule your infrastructure install and meter set within 15 business days. If your site fails CPS Energy inspection, you will be notified by email with reason of turndown. Once any issues are corrected, you can re-click site ready in the Construction & Renovation Web Portal or call 210-353-4050 to schedule another Site-Ready inspection.

Your municipality will perform their inspection which are required before CPS can turn on your service.

12 of 15

Sign your easements.

If necessary, submit easement documentation for the necessary utilities after they are constructed. The easement or field notes will need to be received, reviewed and signed by the property owner prior to your service being activated. This process can take up to 3 weeks. If an Easement is required for your project, review the information below or click here to Read More.

Owner Request:

The owner will need to provide an easement description to the CPS Energy Agent (“Agent”). All Residential Development, Small Commercial, and Large Commercial Projects will require a surveyed easement description.  The Agent will determine if a surveyed easement description is necessary for Residential Service projects. 

Third-Party Request:

If your project requires a third-party easement, please contact the Agent. The third-party easement must be secured and finalized early in the project.

13 of 15

CPS Energy installs your underground infrastructure and meter(s) then turns on your service(s).

PLEASE NOTE: To avoid delays, please ensure CPS Energy can access your property to perform their work.

CPS Energy will dig your trench, install conduit, and backfill. Once underground service infrastructure is in place, and if CPS Energy has already received your electric and/or gas permit inspections, CPS Energy will set your meter(s) and activate your service(s).

  • If electric permit inspections are required and not received by CPS Energy, the electric meter will be set and locked until we receive your permit inspections. Once received, CPS Energy will schedule a meter crew to activate your service.
  • If gas permit inspections are required and not received, CPS Energy cannot set your gas meter. Once we receive you gas permit inspections, CPS Energy will schedule a meter crew to install your gas meter and activate your service.
14 of 15

Call to have CPS Energy to remove your Temporary Service.

Call Customer Service at 210-353-3333 to have your Temporary Service removed.

15 of 15

CPS Energy sends your Temporary Service final bill and normal billing begins.

CPS Energy will send your final Temporary Service bill and normal billing will begin. If you have not already, enroll in Manage My Account.

Please give us website feedback to improve our site.  Share your experience with us at Customer Feedback Survey, or email us at [email protected].

Thank you!

All information, representations, links or other messages may be changed by CPS Energy at any time without prior notice or explanation to the user. In particular, CPS Energy is not obliged to remove any outdated information from its website or to expressly mark it as being outdated.