We want to help keep you and your property safe. Here are some important tips on avoiding dangerous issues involving energy.
How to play it safe with electricity:
- Floods cause significant damage to homes and property. Once floodwaters recede, don’t flip a switch or plug in an appliance before a licensed electrician checks the wiring and appliances to make sure they are safe.
- Never use water-damaged electrical appliances. Have them reconditioned by a qualified service repairman.
- Be careful when your basement or garage is flooded; submerged outlets or electrical cords may be energizing the water.
- Use GFCIs to prevent electrocutions and electrical shock injuries.
- Never allow power cord connections to become wet.
- Do not remove or bypass the ground pin on a three-prong plug.