MAKE SAFETY A PRIORITY
- Report your outage online at the CPS Energy Outage Center or by calling (210) 353-HELP (4357).
- Stay informed with our outage map and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates.
- Monitor weather reports.
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them to CPS Energy. Do NOT attempt to move or drive over the lines as they can be live.
- If your home or business is flooded, never enter standing water unless you’re sure the main power has been shut off.
- Keep cell phones charged and flashlights, batteries and other important items readily available.
- Have a power outage plan for medical devices requiring electricity or medicines requiring refrigeration.
DURING A POWER OUTAGE
- Unplug electrical equipment such as TVs and computer equipment to help protect them from power surges.
- Keep the refrigerator door closed. Refrigerated food should be safe for up to 4 hours.
- For outages lasting more than 2-4 hours, pack perishable items into a cooler and surrounded by ice.
- Only use generators outdoors. (See Generator Safety)
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
AFTER A POWER OUTAGE
- Discard any perishable foods that have been above 40° F for more than 2 hours.
- If your neighbors have power and you do not, check your breakers.