February 2021 Winter Storm:
The state of Texas experienced extreme cold temperatures and dangerous conditions caused by winter storm Uri throughout the week of Sunday, February 14. On Monday, February 15, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) reported record-breaking electric demand and higher-than-normal generation outages and limited natural gas supplies. ERCOT instructed utilities, including CPS Energy, to shed load and implement controlled outages to limit electric demand to available generation supply with the goal to prevent statewide blackout. Local utilities, including CPS Energy, were limited in our ability to rotate outages due to the magnitude of generation unavailability and the number of circuits with critical load.
LEARN MORE: ERCOT
Actions from San Antonio Committee on Emergency Preparedness:
Mayor Ron Nirenberg announced on February 22, 2021, the formation of the City of San Antonio’s Committee on Emergency Preparedness (CEP) to report to the community on emergency operations and public utilities performance during the winter storm the previous week. Information about the committee, including their final report, is available here.
CPS Energy is taking actions to address the recommendations of the CEP and to improve preparedness and the Resiliency of our system and operations. Formal reports are given to the Municipal Utilities Committee during their monthly meetings.
CPS Energy Takes Legal Action:
- READ MORE: CPS Energy is Fighting for its San Antonio Customers
- READ MORE: Statements by CPS Energy - May 21, 2021
- WATCH: May, 19, 2021 San Antonio Express News Editorial Board: Paula Gold-Williams gives an update on Winter Storm Uri and the steps CPS Energy has taken.
- READ MORE: Statement about filing by Enterprise Products - April 23, 2021
- READ MORE: Petitions Filed by CPS Energy
- WATCH: SA City Council meeting discussing CPS Energy’s strategic plan to protect customers - March 18, 2021
- News Conference Video: CPS Energy files suit against ERCOT March 12, 2021
- April 8, 2021: (English): Bill Credit Program FAQs
- 8 de abril del 2021:(Español): Preguntas Frecuentes
- Read More (English): Winter Weather Emergency - Frequently Asked Questions, as of 2/19/21
- Read More (Español): Emergencia por tiempo invernal – preguntas de importancia, 2/19/21
- Winter Safety Tips: English & Spanish
- View our Outage Center for current Outage Map and Generator Safety.
- Report an Outage online with your smart phone or tablet, on Manage My Account or by calling (210) 353-HELP (4357).
- Follow our Facebook and Twitter pages for status updates.
- If possible, seek local TV or radio station weather reports.
- If you have a medical emergency, please call 911.
How to Track Electricity Demand:
- View daily peak demand forecast, current load, and available generation at http://www.ercot.com.
- Follow ERCOT on Twitter (@ERCOT_ISO) and Facebook (Electric Reliability Council of Texas).
- Sign up for the ERCOT mobile app (available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play).
- Subscribe to the Emergency Alerts list on http://lists.ercot.com.